Goal-Post

All With Smiling FacesAll With Smiling Faces
How Newcastle became United, 1881-1910
by Paul Brown
Paperback, 240 pages, 50+ illustrations, ISBN 9780956227089
Published by Goal-Post books, September 2014

amazonbutton

Also available as an eBook:
badge_kindlebadge_ibooks-lrg

www.allwithsmilingfaces.co.uk

New from Goal-Post, our first club-specific book All With Smiling Faces is a Victorian and Edwardian history of Newcastle United. Covering the club's first 30 years, from foundation in 1881 to FA Cup triumph in 1910, the book explores how Newcastle became successful and built up its loyal support. The title is taken from the lyrics of Blaydon Races, the Tyneside music hall song that shares its Victorian heritage with Newcastle United and is still sung at St James’ Park today. The cover features an exclusive painting by football artist Paine Proffitt.

The book, written by Victorian Football Miscellany author Paul Brown, is out now in paperback, limited edition hardback, and eBook. You can find more information, images, extracts and interactive content at the book's dedicated website www.allwithsmilingfaces.co.uk.

From the cover: "How did Newcastle become United? When was the club formed, and where did it play before moving to St James’ Park? Who were the men who built the club, and how did they turn it into the most successful club in the country? What was it like to support Newcastle in the Victorian and Edwardian eras, and why has the bond between the club and its fans remained so strong?

All With Smiling Faces takes a wander through Newcastle’s early history to discover how the club came to mean so much to so many. Covering the first 30 years, from its foundation as Stanley FC in 1881 to the triumphant FA Cup win in 1910, the book visits the grounds, meets the players, mingles with the fans, and relives the matches that made Newcastle United."

Among the key facts revealed in the book are the following:

  • Newcastle United was formed in 1881, eleven years before the widely-accepted date of 1892.
  • The club played at four home grounds, in Byker and Heaton, before moving to St James’ Park.
  • Originally named Stanley FC and then East End, there was no merger between East and West End.
  • The club won several trophies before 1892, plus three League titles and the FA Cup before 1910.
  • Newcastle’s black and white colours are inherited from an ancient Northumberland plaid.
  • amazonbutton

    Also available as an eBook:
    badge_kindlebadge_ibooks-lrg

    www.allwithsmilingfaces.co.uk

    Leave a Comment