As West Ham prepare to leave their home of 112 years, this rare (and sadly damaged) photo shows the "Boleyn Castle" Ground during the club's first season there, in 1904-05. A caption explains the name: "It was in the fine old mansion nearby, which gave the ground its name, that Anne Boleyn, the unfortunate wife of King Henry VIII, once resided. West Ham are currently making history of another sort here, and it seems that at last the club has embarked on a flood-tide of prosperity."
The club was founded as Thames Ironworks in 1895, and reformed as West Ham United in 1900. They moved to the Boleyn Ground, sometimes referred to as Upton Park, in 1904.